Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Thief Film - Background Stylistic Choices



Ok anyone checking these out is definitely going to have to click each one to see them properly. The black base color makes all the detail vanish so fast. Hmm.. I'm going to have to keep that in mind for the film too.

I'm trying to experiment with as many styles of brush strokes for the backgrounds before I decide on the final look for this thief film. In the process I'm able to test out possible techniques for the characters too. I'm not sure I can make any concrete decisions with these experiments alone just yet. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to lay out all my options once I feel like I can't come up with any more/get tired and then mix and match with the options of the animated thief. I only know the feelings I'd like to provoke in the viewers so I'm going to have to use that to make my decision. Errr... I might need to hurry soon if I want to have something viewable in time for the Prom!!

These illustrations above are all made with vectors in Freehand. The textures are scans. I don't know if that would make it easier to animate with. That's to be thought of later on anyway. Right now I need to focus on a nice look.


And these two are the same as above but in day situations. Somehow I like how they look in day situation more than night. They're just so much more readable. I can't change that in the story though so I'll just have to be happy looking at them here in the meantime.

5 comments:

  1. A lot of people seem to like the second background - the one with the marble textures, but I've been testing it with the different thief designs I have and it's unfortunately just too busy to carry the legibility of the film. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first one on the black background looks good with your characters for me. The second one on the black background is kinda cool, but all elements are almost in the same value. I understand that maybe you want the feeling of interior which the light is off, not much contrast. However, some elements has hard-light look for me like a ceiling, table, etc. I really like the way you design it, but I just think you can play more with the lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What should I do?, Nimmer! I wanna say hi but I accidentally deleted my own comment just two minutes ago. What should I do? T-T

    ReplyDelete